Sunday, September 16, 2012

Roberto Martin's Whole Wheat Waffles with Maple-Berry Syrup

I'm in love. There, I said it. I have always had one go-to cookbook and blogger, and that is Lindsay Nixon of Happyherbivore.com. But for my birthday I received Roberto Martin's cookbook, and hands down - if the past 9 months of being vegan wasn't enough to convince me that this life style and diet was awesome, this cookbook put me over the edge. Roberto Martin, as perfectly stated by Portia de Rossi in the forward (he's Portia's and Ellen DeGeneres' personal chef), Roberto doesn't make vegan food, he makes food vegan.



Hello there handsome. I love you and your recipes.


This morning we tried Roberto's Whole Wheat Waffle with Maple-Berry Syrup, and WOW.

DIRECT EXCERPT FROM THE BOOK:
"VEGAN COOKING FOR CARNIVORES" BY ROBERTO MARTIN

For the Maple-Berry Syrup - I used 5oz frozen raspberries, 1/4 cup water and 1/8 cup of maple syrup. We let this simmer until it was ready to serve (compared to removing from heat as directed). It was awesome.


We made the following changes to the Waffle recipe:
1) Cut everything in half. I'd consider us having a large waffle iron, and by cutting the recipe in half, we got just over 2.5 waffles. 
2) Used Organic Pasty Flour instead of whole wheat flour, we didn't have whole wheat in the house, but didn't want to lose any elements of texture or flavor by using 100% all-purpose flour.
3) Added 2 servings (26g) of Bob's Red Mill Chia. We try to add chia to any baked goods as it's an easy way to add protein and fiber.


Here is a picture of the crispy goodness still in the waffle pan.

Adding the raspberry sauce.

I tried to use self control, but just dumped the entire batch of raspberry sauce on top of my waffle.
Thank goodness Matt doesn't like berries because I don't think I would have shared either way!!!

I took a breath to take a quick picture. I cooked it for 6 minutes in my waffle iron, I probably could have done 7 minutes, since it was a tad soggy in the middle. It could also be that I added the entire batch of raspberry sauce and it soaked in.. Who knows, who cares, I ate the whole darn thing and then licked my plate clean!

No comments:

Post a Comment